OpenVPN for Mac OSX
Apple’s Mac OS X does not provide a native OpenVPN client. To connect to an OpenVPN server, you must download an OpenVPN client called Tunnelblick.
Step 1: Download and install.
1) Tunnelblick can be downloaded from here:
Select the download link
2) This will download the package Tunnelblick_3.5beta06_build_4211.dmg to your computer. Locate it in Finder and double-click it to open the package installer.
3) The package window will open revealing the installer and double-click the Tunnelblick.app icon to begin installation.
Step 2: Launching Tunnelblick
1) A dialog box warning you that the application was downloaded from the internet and requiring your approval to continue. Click on Open.
2) An approval of the installation by entering your Mac username and password. Type your username and password, and then click OK.
3) The installation will complete. You’ll then see a dialog asking you if you want to launch Tunnelblick now. Click on launch to start Tunnelblick.
Step 3: Add a configuration
1) A dialog box that says “Welcome to Tunnelblick” appears. This dialog is designed to help you get started with Tunnelblick configuration. Since FoxyProxy is providing you with the configuration files to use OpenVPN, you can click the “I have configuration files” button.
2) Simply click the “Done” button here.
3) You’ll see the Tunnelblick icon appear in the status window next to your username and the Spotlight icon. (Right corner of the screen)
Step 4: Install OpenVPN configuration
1) Double-click the file ( ****.ovpn) provided by FoxyProxy.
2) In the dialog box, select “Only Me” when choosing which users to allow to use this OpenVPN configuration.
3) Enter your Mac OS X username and password to authorize installing the OpenVPN configuration.
4) You should receive a notification that the profile was installed successfully. Click OK.
Step 5: OpenVPN settings
1) Click the Tunnelblick icon in the status area and select VPN Details.
2) In the main Tunnelblick interface, make sure the Server profile is selected. Set the OpenVPN version to 2.3.6. Make sure the “Monitor network settings” and “Keep connected” checkboxes are checked. Click the Advanced button at the bottom.
3) In the profile’s Advanced Settings dialog, select the “While Connected” tab. Check the “Route all traffic through the VPN” checkbox. Then close the Advanced Settings.
Step 6: Connect to OpenVPN
1) There are two ways to connect to the OpenVPN server.
One way is in the main Tunneblick dialog box. You can click the Connect button there.
The other way is to click the Tunneblick icon in the status area and select Connect Server.
2) You will be prompted to provide your OpenVPN username and password. These are the credentials provided to you by FoxyProxy. You can choose to save the credentials in the keychain if you wish.
3) After providing your credentials, you should see a series of screens next to the Tunnelblick icon in the status area. It should end with “Connected” in a GREEN text color. The connection can take up to 30 seconds to complete.